Monday, October 7, 2013

Sequence photos of my latest painting: Rothko and his foal

I decided that the values in the background were a little too choppy...more adjustments.  At some point, someone else needs to step in and tell you when you're done!!  10/2

I think I'm done...I really wanted to obscure the background more and hone some of the focal point(s).  I rarely use black in my palette because I find that that it takes too much saturation away--but I used it in this one.  Typically I can make my darkest darks with other mixtures.  And I desaturate colors or neutralize them using complements.  But for Rothko's fur, I felt I needed to get really rich and dark and warranted the use of black, always mixed in with other color.  9/30


progress shot#8: subtle changes happening now...but important.  I really wanted the background to be more abstract...in my attempt at losing form, I lost some critical darks I needed to get back.  Will continue tomorrow.  9/29


progress shot#6: adjusting lights and darks more 9/27



progress shot#6: This is the fun fun stage.  I am now deconstructing and reconstructing the image, moving oily paint around a lot, continuing to check values, reminding myself of my focal point and how I'm going to handle it.  9/27



progress shot #5  9/25

I'm very inspired today.  I consumed incredible paintings this past weekend in Washington DC: at the Women Painting Women show at the Principle Gallery and the National Gallery and Portrait Gallery.  Here's some more progress of Rothko and his foal.  I've got a LOT of value adjustment to do, elaboration of the context, THEN start to really move some paint around, that is, pushing and pulling it to create more movement, more abstraction...etcetera, etcetera.  9/23



I probably should have photographed the stage before this but I assure you, this is still very, very early. I wanted to get some color in after the loose monochromatic sketch.  Have some different ideas for background/context, but for now I needed to lay in some kind of value scheme.  9/17



Working on the foal 9/11


Starting a new painting 9/9

No comments:

Post a Comment